Is there such thing as an age appropriate hairstyle? What looked good on you when you were in your 20s or 30s may not be ideal in your 50s, but that does not mean that the older a woman gets, the shorter her hair must become.
When it comes to age and hairstyles, old rules such as “long hair after 40 only makes you look older” are just outdated and sad. Ali McGraw, Demi Moore and Bo Derek still wear their hair over-the-shoulder long and they look spectacular even though they are in their 40s, 50s and even 70s.
Today’s women are stylish and confident. Their independence has allowed them to redefine age and how it relates to fashion. Women in their 50s, 60s and 70s come from generations that set trends and broke away from conforming standards of their time. These strong, bold women aren’t about to be defined by the old rules now.
Wearing long hair over 40? Here are a few tips to keep you looking your best:
• Hair thins as we age. However, additional volume is easily achieved with a good cut that adds layers and movement around the face. Additionally, volumizing products will make the most of what you’ve got.
• Find your style, keeping in mind that layers, tapered sides and wispy elements will add volume and soften your face.
• Great looks include large waves, soft curls and tapered, face-framing cuts with a lot of feathery texture. Movement and visual softening are key.
• Keep all your lines flowing and soft. Avoid harsh lines and corners, including on the bangs.
• Stick with soft, natural colors. Don’t be afraid of grey.
• If your hair is very thin, go for a shorter or medium length cut. Not because of your age, but because it is best for your hair type.
In the end, there is no such a thing as specific hairstyles that are appropriate for a certain age group – or not. We have a wide range of choices for beautiful hairstyles at any age. The only things to keep in mind are the basic rules:
• Find a cut that really works for you, brings attention to your good sides and distracts a bit from others.
• Keep it soft, flowing and fun, long or short, but most of all keep it uniquely you.
If you need help choosing the perfect cut for you, let the best hairstylists in Miami guide you.
Contact Red Market Miami 305–864-3978